This blog is no longer in use, please visit the updated website at: www.TheWoodlandElf.com

 

   

Friday, October 2, 2009

October!! My favorite month of the year. There are so many wonderful things in October: the harvest, brightly colored leaves, corn shocks, pumpkins, apple cider, grape juice and of course HALLOWEEN! My brother's costume is still inching its way along, almost exactly as we weave about an inch a day on it. I also found something very interesting about patterns; they aren't the size they say they are. The civil war costume I've been making was supposed to be a size 10, but I just finished it and I think it's closer to a size 6 now. I had originally intended to rent it out, but now that it's several sizes smaller, I think I'll just wear it myself for Halloween. It will be the same era as my brother's costume so we'll make a good pair for the holiday. All I have to do now is make the hoop skirt and it'll be set. I'll have to rummage through the barn and see what I can find strong enough to support the weight of the fabric. I've just learned that civil war skirts really did have a whole lot of heavy fabric!
Now onto this week's craft project. We've been eating a lot of sweet corn lately, tis the season after all, and we never let the husks go to waste. Either we feed them to the grateful cows who are always happy to receive a treat, or I make them into cornhusk dolls and put them on the wreaths I take to the market. They're loads of fun as husks are easy to work with and they're a great way to recycle the husks from some night's dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment