This blog is no longer in use, please visit the updated website at: www.TheWoodlandElf.com

 

   

Friday, February 25, 2011

Winter Harvest

I made it up to the beeyard today. In all honesty, I'm not sure you can really call it a beeyard, it's more like a "beewood," as I keep my box up up in the forest, so the bees don't bother my cows and horses (or us for that matter). But it is a "Bebox Approved" beebox. (Long story, but my younger brother once made this creepy little doll thing that he named Bebox, so ever since then, we've said my beebox is "Bebox Approved")

Anyway, I got my wax harvest in today. I still haven't gotten any honey out my hive in all the years I've had it because the bees usually have it pulled down by the time I get around to harvesting. I know you're supposed to harvest it in the spring and the fall, but I always wait until winter, because I have more time to do the harvesting. Besides, I figure if the bees have taken it, they probably needed it, and if I leave them their honey, at least I don't have to feed them through the winter. It's unconventional, but it seems to be working out pretty well, as my bees have survived several frigid winters when a lot of the hives in the area died. (One year, they even survived an ice-cold winter after someone had knocked the top of the hive off!)

In any event, I have wax, so it's time to dip some candles!

No comments:

Post a Comment