This blog is no longer in use, please visit the updated website at: www.TheWoodlandElf.com

 

   

Thursday, August 13, 2009

According to Greek mythology, the winter months were created when Persephone, the daughter of the harvest Goddess, was taken into the earth by Hades. Eventually, Persephone was returned to her mother, but only on the condition that she split her time between the world above and the world below. She was to spend six months above earth with her mother, and six months below earth with Hades. The Greeks believed that during those six months, the harvest Goddess, Demeter, was sad at her daughter's absence and thus everything went into hibernation, bringing us the winter months.

Personally, I think the winter months were created to prevent people from killing themselves, or least going insane as they tried to multitask. The summer months seem made specifically for the sole purpose of multitasking around here. As I sit here typing this at 2:00 in the morning (when I would probably be better off in bed, but unfortunately am a bit of an insomniac), I'm recounting the set of multitasking I just completed and thanking the universe that there do exist winter months.

My other desk job is as busy as the farm this time of the year, so I'm spending a fair bit of time there as well. Then once I'm back home, it's chore time, followed by flower cutting. I was lucky enough to get out of the fields before the bats came out tonight. I don't really have a problem with bats, but I don't particularly like being hit by them either. Once the flowers were picked, the real multitasking began. As I sat there stripping flowers, I also had a set of pictures printing, a batch of soap cooking on one burner and a pot of candle wax on another. The result was an odd mix of cinnamon and eucalyptus scents filling the air. A rather interesting smell to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment