This blog is no longer in use, please visit the updated website at: www.TheWoodlandElf.com

 

   

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Today was the Granger Homestead old fashion fun day, but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. It was basically a steady rain, so about 1:00 many of us packed up and went home to dry off. I guess Mother Nature wanted to prove she still has dominion over us humans. It was pretty cool seeing so many people walking around in their period costumes though. Someone even had hammer dulcimers to make music. If only the sun had been shining! Oh well, we can't control the weather.

The wild turkey was actually pretty good eating. There was a little bruising, but most of the meat was fine. It tastes different than farm raised turkey. It was dryer meat (just the way I like it), and was sort a mix between turkey and roast beef as far as taste. My grandmother said she once cooked a wild goose that tasted just like roast beef, strangely enough.

Well, due to getting ready for the double weekend, I didn't have time to post a craft project on Friday, so I'll post it here. Having gotten lots of beautiful feathers from the unfortunate accident with the turkey, I've been making dream catchers all week; so naturally, this week's project is a dream catcher.

Once again, I'm having image upload problems, so for now it's just the text. The web weaving is a bit tricky the first time or two, but once you get the hang of it, it falls into a sort of relaxing rhythm until you can practically make them with your eyes closed. Ok, maybe not with your eyes closed, but you get the idea; once you get the knack, it all falls into place.

The best part is, dream catchers aren't just a myth, they actually work. I never have bad dreams when there's a dream catcher hanging over my bed. So while I very much apologize to the poor turkey, I do thank her for the supper and the beautiful feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment