This blog is no longer in use, please visit the updated website at: www.TheWoodlandElf.com

 

   

Monday, September 27, 2010

Today was definitely what I consider a good day in my world. It was my day off so I let myself sleep in, and when I woke up, it wasn't even raining. That's a welcome change, because the last several weeks it's been nothing but gloom on my days off. The sun even came of the clouds for a minute or two.

So I got my entire field of pumpkins harvested. Usually I have my brother to help me, but he's working the night shift now, so he sleeps in the daytime. This year I did all the planting, hoeing (till the rain stopped me), and harvesting myself. The perks of that, however, include getting first pick of the pumpkins. I chose three perfectly shaped ones to save for my Halloween carving.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were way more pumpkins in that tangled mess of weeds than I had expected. And as added bonus, there were a bunch of gourds I hadn't even planned on because somebody (could've been me) mislabeled the jars when we were saving seeds last year. Ever notice how the stuff you don't mean to plant always grows better than the stuff you do? Got some really cool ones cause they crossed with the pumpkins having grown in such close proximity.

After harvesting I got to spend the rest of the day cleaning my room (a long awaited project!) while listening to Guess Who records (yes vinyl) on the $5 record player my brother very kindly got for me a couple weeks ago at the Rushville community garage sale. One of the speakers doesn't work and there's a bit of a whining hum in the one that does, but hey, it's a record player, enough said.

Ok, ok, so I'll admit to be one of the typical kids who thinks that the scratching, hissing, crackling, and generally inferior quality of a record sounds warmer than digitalized media, but let's face it, some artists really do sound better on vinyl. A prime example is The Animals. They already have that echoish sound we love and records just enhance it. It sounds like they're in some deep, echoing chamber. (Oh wait, that was John Bonham in the stairwell during When the Levee Breaks)

Hmm...this post started out as farming, but what can I say, I've always been passionate about my music and sometimes things just head that direction. And when I say "my music" I of course mean the great music that would actually be considered parents' music, but which I love just as much if not more than they do (and in the case of Robert Johnson, that'd probably be considered my Grandparents or even Great-Grandparents music, but I love it anyway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment